The Sipari family was the new emerging middle class in modern Pescasseroli. Until the eighteenth century they enjoyed a good economic condition, described by Croce as “farmers of field” and “bassettieri” (bassette were the sheep skins), among the most affluent in the village. In the nineteenth century, they imposed themselves to the ancient barons in the possessions, wealth and authority in society. In favour of the post-Napoleonic France and active in the “Carbonari uprisings”, they exerted influence in owned areas and tightened family ties with important families of Abruzzo.
From the 1910s, the mill became an electrical workshop. The plant provided plenty of light in winter, with full tanks of water, and little in summer. Before 1910, public lighting was created with paraffin lamps on street corners. A municipal worker by day put the oil and in the evening went to turn the lamps on.
The Water of the Court, very light and pure, dates back to the twenties. With the brown bear on the label, it was oligomineral water suitable for metabolic diseases. The production was later suspended.
From a naturalistic point of view, the area is frequented by grey herons, roe-deers and other animals. Historically, the area is crossed by a cattle track.
Continuing to the north, on the same side of the river, you will come across the "sports center Saverio Saltarelli" and the municipal playground.
Text by Stefano Dark – Images by Stefano Dark et al.
RESERVED REPRODUCTION – All rights are of the respective owners