The “wall” fountain presents square shapes in smooth stone and rustic finish. The body extends in width, with a basin on the left used in the past for watering the cattle, and three spouts of water. The two bronze-bear heads were installed after the foundation of the Abruzzo National Park in 1922. To the right of them, there is a smaller spout that sticks out from a lion's head carved in stone, and pours water into a shelf basin with torus border.
An iron-cross documented since the beginning of the 20th century stands out above the fountain. On the rock an inscription is engraved for the Catholic missionaries of the Most Holy Redeemer: “MISSIONE P. P. REDENTORISTI ANNO GIUBILARE 1934 - O CRUX AVE SPES UNICA.”
Of the ancient church of San Rocco just a plaque remains but not the little statue of the Saint, which we see on the facade of the house next door and realised in resin in the mid-twentieth century. In 1958, during the renovation of the houses, the statue was exhibited in the niche and close to it the plaque was relocated.
On the road entering the village, there is a small mill of Sipari family (in dialect R'fora). Opposite there is the former depot and posting house of the local transport company Saltarelli and Vitale, then Arpa, converted into a hotel.
Text by Stefano Dark – Images by Stefano Dark and NPALM
RESERVED REPRODUCTION – All rights are of the respective owners