The St. Anthony district, considered the heart of the village, was once outside the historic centre. The ancient church, documented at least since the 14th century, underwent several restorations and was oriented with the entrance to the south. A legal dispute was opened between the Municipality, which here established the schools between 1908 and 1913, and the diocesan curia, that accused them of having usurped the rights of the diocese and the parish.
The municipal administrators wanted to demolish the old church to build the new town hall, expanding the site. Two wings were added to the original plant and structure of the building. From 1929 the Mayor’s residence (podestà in the fascist period) is in the current town hall, with the council chamber at the first floor. On the right side, a room hosted for years the public telephone company Sip.
The sign of the Company Second Herbs, local institute of agricultural cooperation, remains behind on the left. Near the town hall, the monumental four-sided fountain arose, first surmounted by a lictorial fascism, then by the statue of the Immaculate. An old trough was removed.
On the square, mainly in the summer of Pescasseroli, cultural, political and sports celebrations take place. The major annual events are held here. Among them, the feast of St. Anthony Abate every January 17, with the lighting of a bonfire, the blessing of fire, water, animals, and the procession of the statue preserved in the parish church.
Text by Stefano Dark – Images by Stefano Dark and NPALM
RESERVED REPRODUCTION – All rights are of the respective owners