The church has a single nave plan and a bell tower. The original colours of the chapel can be admired thanks to a recent restoration. To the entrance you access by a staircase with semicircular steps. The portal is characterised by a broken tympanum and a coat of arms at the centre. The statue of the Virgin that is inside of Foggia school dates back to 1860, whereas the Madonna preserved in the niche, of Neapolitan school, to 1600.
In the late nineteenth century, in a period of conflicts between Catholics and Protestants in the village, an inscription on the facade was realised by the parish priest: “ERECTED AND DEDICATED TO THE STAR OF CARMEL BY FATHERS’ COMPASSION REDUCED IN HOVEL BY IMPIETY OF CHILDREN REVERTED TO ANCIENT HONOUR BY DEVOTION OF THOSE PRESENT – 1898.” The inscription disappeared with the 1952 restoration.
The new portal was inaugurated on March 23, 1975 donated by Nunziato Notarantonio, with bas-riliefs executed by the sculptor Eraldo Cipriani with drawings by Nicola Vitale, surveyor and former mayor of Pescasseroli.
Behind the church there is the Costa Grega: from here to Malafede probably there is the first human settlement, as early as the sixth century BC, which was to become the oldest district of the town, which connected the Castle to the Church of St. Paul, today abbey. Nearby, there is Pozzo Guerrino (or Q’rrin’, or Guerrillo) and in front Valle Cicala, other ancient districts of Pescasseroli. Characteristic is Via Barone Gentile and especially Via della Chiesa, the main artery of the old town.
Text by Stefano Dark – Images by Umberto Esposito, Stefano Dark and NPALM
RESERVED REPRODUCTION – All rights are of the respective owners